Thursday, January 15, 2009

What was that pop?

So Tuesday night I was playing volleyball with my friends at the stake center. We just signed up for a league team that starts next week. We haven't played for a while because of the holidays, so I was quite excited to be back on the court. I was playing back row, receiving the serve. I turned to reach a ball, twisted all the way around, heard a loud pop, and fell to the ground. Even the other team heard the loud pop. They thought I had hit my knee on the floor really hard when I fell. I told them I thought I broke my foot. I wasn't crying, so they thought It wasn't serious, or I was joking. I knew something was really wrong though. I have sprained this ankle 3 times now. So my dear friends tied my shoe up tight and helped me hop outside. It was my right foot, so I couldn't drive home. Maxine drove my van home, and Savannah followed to be able to take Maxine back home (thanks so much guys!). I came in and shared the news with Dave. At this point, I did start crying, but not because of pain. My sweet mother came over to stay with the kids while Dave drove me to the ER. The wait wasn't too bad there. I did break my ankle. The bone on the outside. I was given crutches and a boot. I am to stay off of it for 6 weeks. 6 weeks! Ok here comes my whinning, but I don't know how I'm going to manage this. I have a 1 year old baby who needs to be lifted into his high chair, crib, car seat etc. He can walk, but is still very much dependent upon me. I have to drive to pick up and drop off my kids at school 1,2, sometimes 3 times a day? Grocery shopping? making dinner? Oh my goodness it's overwhelming to me right now. Not to mention the fact that I no longer get to play on my volleyball team. Volleyball was the one thing that I have done for myself, and the one place that I see friends. Don't get me wrong, my kids and my husband are my very best friends in the world, but sometimes it's nice to talk to another adult now and then. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can manage to do something for myself right now, when I can't really even take care of my kids? haha UGH

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Tara, I am so sorry. I just finished with all that this summer. It was horrible but somehow you manage. I did not have to use crutches so your situation is alot worse. The only way you can survive is if you let people help you. So there you have it, you have to call and ask me for help. I will be waiting to her from you!! :) I am serious!

Kassie, Aaron and Boys said...

I don't know Jenny, but I do agree that you will have to ask for help. I was on crutches for over 5months and wasn't able to have any weight on my foot at all, and I am not going to say it was easy, because it was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do, and one of the hardest was learning to ask for help. I know that you will be blessed I am so grateful for the RS sister, friend, and family that came to take my kids for a few hours, bring me dinner, take me out for a girls night, watch my boys so that Aaron and I could spend time together, and the list goes on and on. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of all the help that I was given. My testimony grew, and I know that Heavenly Father does hear and anwser our prayers, I was able to see sisters being used as instraments in His hands, and it was such a blessing. Now to the question, what can you do for your self? I picked up on knitting (with the looms)while watching movies, and was able to make scarfs for lot of friend and family member for Christmas. I also did a lot of reading. Call and Talk to friend that you don't normally talk to, becuase you are a busy mom, becuase now you aren't. I wish that I lived closer so that I could help you, I have been walking without any support for a few weeks now and feeling very excited about life and I feel like I can now face my challenges stronger than before. I wish you the best and will remember you in my prayers. Kassie Rogers
P.S. Sorry so long!!!

Sharlee said...

I'm so sorry, Tara. You feel so helpless as the Mom when you can't do what you need to do. I really don't have any good ideas, except to have one of your friends come and take you to dinner or a movie sometime or go in your room and lock the door and pretend you're somewhere else for a minute? Good luck. I'll be thinking of you and checking back to see how things are going.

Christen Noelle said...

Tara...I love you too!

I am so sorry about your ankle...and volleyball! If I were up there I would lift your 1 year old baby into his high chair, crib, car seat etc. I would drive to pick up and drop off your kids at school all 3 times daily. I would Grocery shop, and make dinner, and even fill in for you on your volleyball team...although they may not want me, remember how I used to play..haha! I would also put you in bed with a great movie, maybe Tommy Boy, some great snacks and listen to your whining!

I hope you feel better...and don't worry you are very loved, all will work out and you will even get some rest out of this!

Alison said...

Well that is just terrible! I can't believe it! I mean I really cannot believe it! I seriously cannot believe it! Did I already say that? My goodness! When you were thinking about needing a break, you probably were not thinking about it coming as a broken foot! Well lets see! You are definitely going to be building some good muscles in that other leg, so that is a positive! Well cry and laugh all day, and then let everyone take care of you, and enjoy it, there is nothing you can do about it! Your a trooper! I will pray for you!!

Laura Bernard said...

You poor dear! I've been thinking of you and my other friends with large families, wondering how they all survive in their own ways, as I try to figure out how I'll adapt with another one around. A sad reality I've come to is that there really is just nearly no time for me to do what I want. That even includes helping and serving others. Yea, you can a little, but the needs of a large family are so many that it fills your capacity pretty well . . and now for you not even to do that!

I'm sure you feel even worse since you've needed so much help over the last few years already. This is just one more thing. But as you probably already learned with Toby, and I learned it with my pregnancy and arrival of the twins, there are great lessons to learn in needing and receiving help. Good luck with it.

As for Tara time, Do you like reading? That's something I kind of feel guilty doing that you can certainly get away with now . . . Any other ideas I'll send your way!

Anonymous said...

WHAT?! That is crazy! Man! As soon as I get in I'll help out! And you can ride with me to Volleyball and you can still have our wonderful conversations! I'll help out! =) What else are neighbors for? I get home on Sunday! I'll do everything for you but shave your legs. Haha.

Bonny said...

I've screwed my right ankle up too. I didn't have kids then, so I can only imagine how hard that must be. I have fallen a few times and had a hurt back so I can relate a little. I just wish that I was closer to help you. You will need help (which none of us like to ask for.) Do your best with your baby. Minimize what you can. Good luck and take care!

Emily and Ethan said...

Dang I am so sorry!!! Such bad timing, I can't imagine how I would get along on crutches with Silas!!! Good luck

behka said...

So sad! I had no idea. I highly doubt you will stay off it for 6 weeks, you are much too active but at least with a boot it makes it easier. I am really sad about the volleyball league though! What a disappointment! Should I plan to teach this week?:)

Kim Chapman said...

Oh I am so, so sorry for you. I hope the next 6 weeks go by very quickly for you. I can't imagine what that would be like, but knowing how well you manage everything else, I'm sure you'll be amazing. Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you!