Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do you want to be smart?

Toby asked Lily if she wanted to go downstairs and go to pre-school with him, and he would be the teacher. Lily said no. Toby asked Lily if she wanted to be the smartest kid in kindergarten when she started school. Lily said yes. Toby got excited and told Lily to come downstairs with him and he would teach her... So Lily had her first class last night, and another one this morning. She earned 300 points and got a treat! I asked Lily what she was learning in school. She brought me a bunch of papers and said "I'm learning all of this". I asked again, wanting her perspective, and Toby answered for her (math, writing, eating broccoli because it's good for you etc.) I asked again, and told Toby I wanted Lily to answer. Toby went and whispered in Lily's ear "tell her you're learning math" (way too obvious - he must think I didn't graduate from my sibling taught pre-school, or my teachers, Dar? Krissy?, didn't teach me much :). Lily then told me that she was learning "laugh". And then with some help corrected herself and said "math".
Lily saw the words 'I love you' and decided she wanted to write them down. She wrote it and then added mom, Toby, Kyle, Lily, DJ. She'll do just fine in kindergarten in 2010 I think :)
Toby and Kyle were playing a game with Jono and Alex (friends from Australia). Kyle and Alex won, but it was such a close game! As soon as it ended, Toby got in Kyles face and said "Curse you, foul beast!" He really is hilarious!
Kyle is playing city league basketball and really applying himself. He's doing great. He continues to thrive at the top of his class. It seems he's becoming popular with the ladies now too....skeery! Jono and Alex went to school with him yesterday to experience a day at an American school....kinda cool. :) It was great having the Kimmings in our home. They are wonderful people.
Derek is getting pretty good at communicating. He says "bottle, more, apple, nanna, momma, dad, hi, ball, bubble". He copies sounds or rhythm that he hears the other kids doing. His personality is really starting to shine through and it's so fun!
I am just so grateful for my children!!! :)

6 comments:

schlenskefamily said...

Your children are darling, as are you! I really wish we were closer and could play. I can't wait til we get there for a visit. You are, of course, welcome here anytime. And by the way, I'm sure I taught you very well in preschool!Love you!

Sharlee said...

Your kids are just full of life. I wish Jonah had someone to "teach" during the day or someone to teach him! I try, but any more than twenty minutes in one sitting (playing or doing preschool with him) and my brain goes numb.

Bonny said...

Aren't kids cute? I love the funny things they say and wish I could remember more. So fun

Alison said...

Very Cute! Very cute little stories! I love how sweet and innocent little children are! Your kids are very cute!

Company EIGHT said...

I love reading stories about your kids! They are so cute, and totally funny. I wish I was there to see them in real life!
Oh, and how handsome that Kyle is! It still is very surreal for me to see our boys so grownup--I can still picture them as little 2 year olds!

Erika Seiler said...

Oh my goodness, Kyle is so tall! Jade is getting tall too, but not as tall as him. I still remember them as little toddlers, it's so startling to look at them growing up! I'm so sorry about your ankle. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have all those responsibilities and feel helpless about it. You have such a strong family and friend network, I'm sure they'll help you through this latest hurdle. I'll be praying for you!