Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Calling all parents! sorry this entry is ginormous!



Let me first start by venting! We took Lily to the hospital for surgery on Friday (you can read more about that on Toby's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/tobywilson). Anyway, we were in the waiting room for about 1 1/2 hours waiting to be called back to surgery, at which time, we saw several other patients (not patience!). I was absolutely appalled and distraught by what I saw. Children disobeying, fighting, stealing toys, talking back, being disrepectful to people and toys, hitting, screaming, throwing tantrums etc.... One young man took every toy that Lily was playing with (luckily she's easy going and didn't get too upset), but his parents would shake their heads no at him, and then watch him take the toys, over and over. Another little girl kept trying to take Lily's balloon. Her mom would say no, but never get up to enforce her words. Her other daughter would then get up to remove the young girl and then a HUGE fit would ensue with screaming and flailing.....all accepted as ok. Another young boy was removing toys and throwing them. Another young boy kept hitting his mom in the face, she disreguarded it. Am I the only parent who tells my child "no" and means it? Am I the only parent who disciplines (and not out of anger, but to actually teach my children)? Who expects my child to be well behaved? Who doesn't allow my child to be in control? I am by no means saying I'm a perfect parent, but by golly I parent, and do it to the best of my ability (I of course know there are others of you out there parenting as well). Children are controlling their parents. Getting away with things, that in my mind, are not ok. I know I'm uptight, but it scares me to see how little some parents are expecting from their children, and how they choose not to do something about inappropriate behavior. I can't even imagine (nor do I want to) what will happen when these kids grow up. I know that some kids are more challenging than others, but say "NO", and mean it, stick to it, and be consistant for crying out loud!!!
OK I feel a bit better now.

I also learned something about my own parenting last night as I picked my niece up from the hospital when my nephew was rushed to the ER. I watched my niece trying not to cry, trying to be brave, while her brother was sick and terrified. I had her sit on my lap, I talked with her and prayed with her when we got home. Then it dawned on me, I don't do that with my own kids!!! I am so preoccupied with taking care of whomever is sick/in the hospital, that I don't take the time to make sure my other kids are ok. How sad is that?? And usually there's no one else there to do that for me. I feel like I communicate pretty well with my kids, especially whoever is having to go through the drama, but how often do I not notice when communication needs to happen? I'm going to be more aware from now on. Lily was so brave!!!

So Lily is doing pretty well. She is off of Lortab completely and occasionally takes Advil, but that's it. She walks on her toes and is verrrrry careful. :) The most drama was caused when I took off the outer bandage and it hurt! She was also scared to have her wound exposed, to be so vulnerable. She was also sad when DJ got to take a bath and she couldn't. She said "mom, I just want to be normal again". How sad is that? Lily's biological dad (Marc) came into town from AZ for the surgery and kept Kyle and Toby during the long day at the hospital. Thanks Marc. Lily's wagon ride out of the hospital Here's her scar....couple inch long smiley face....ugh

So here are the pictures from Toby's Picture Sale! The info on this is also on Toby's caringbridge site (sorry, I don't want to type it all up twice, but I also don't want to copy and paste it for those who are following both, too boring :)

Kyle did an awesome job in his 5th grade program! (a vid on youtube of that as well :) He is the best big brother my kids could ever ask for.

Super cute friends we love!!! :)

I know there's something else I'm supposed to post on here. Whenever something funny or exciting happens, we always hear Dave say "now that's blog worthy!", now if only I could remember! haha
Make sure and check out our latest Youtube video (link on the right sidebar) Nothin like a bunch of screamin kids......what was all that nonesense about parenting?!?! lol no, really despite how it looked, that was a controlled environment haha

12 comments:

schlenskefamily said...

I am so glad to hear that Lily is doing alright! You are a great parent and I totally agree with you! Give all the kids squeezies for me!

Bonny said...

Oh what a sweet girl. Looks like my c-section scar but much smaller. Interesting insight with your neice. Makes me think too. I hate it when I see parents like that. I'm sorry it was so frustrating for you!

behka said...

So happy to hear Lily is doing so well. I have those exact steri strips on the exact same incision right now... So much to go through for a little girl:? I wish her a quick recovery. And I LOVE the new blog name! So you!

LilMisfit said...

Thanks for the great update. I'm so glad Lily is okay. And it was nice for Marc to be there. Even when your kids are sick, they are just adorable.

And I KNOW...what is with parents who say NO, but don't mean it? So annoying. A pet peeve of mine...other than the dog thing! :)

Jenny said...

I completely agree with you on saying no and meaning it. We have had similar experiences with other kids and it breaks my heart to see my kids being picked on and their parents no doing anything about it, especially when I try hard to teach my kids how to behave the right way. So thank you for being such a great parent!!

Anonymous said...

you are such an amazing mom with an amazing fam! I totally know what you are talking about with those crazy kids and even crazier parents... well, it is sad, but we all know how it turns out when kids are in control and parents are not.

any way, love you!

mindy

Nicole said...

I love the pictures of the sale!! They had so much fun. Also I am so happy Lily is doing well!!!

Heidi said...

That was a great entry. I love reading your blog because so often I feel like I have experienced it a little bit with you.

Glad that Lilly is doing better.

The parenting thing really bothers me too. I just think that so many people have kids, but they are not parents. I am not sure why, is it fear? Or what? I don't get it.

Company EIGHT said...

Wow, you've had a lot going on!

-I totally agree with you on the parenting thing. I'm not perfect either, but c'mon now...no menas NO!

-I'm glad Lily is doing okay, and that her surgery went well. It was good to see Marc in the picturs too--you'll have to say hello for me.

-I love the picture sale idea...so cute!

Kaylene said...

You are a great mom. Your kids are just wonderful, and I'm so glad Lily's surgery went well.

Alison said...

Little Lily looks so sweet laying there in her hospital bed. I hate seeing kids in the hospital, just so vulnerable. I am sorry she had to go through that. She looks like she was quite a trooper. I hope the surgery fixes everything and she does not have to suffer with bladder infections ever again! Take Care of yourself! Thanks for the update!!

Kim Chapman said...

I'm glad Lily is doing o.k. You all are such troopers. Thanks also for "venting" about the whole parenting thing. It's amazing what parents (I'm sure I'm guilty here too) let their kids get away with. A little too much apathy. You are not alone.