Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Last Lumbar Puncture

Let me start this entry off on a good note. First, here are a few funny things my silly children have said and done...
I was sweeping the floor and lily and Toby were eating breakfast. Lily asked me to be careful and not get in her way of the TV. After a while Lily said "Mom, you're in my way!" I looked up at her confused as I stood in the kitchen no where near her line of vision to the TV. She paused, and then said "you're not blocking the tv mom, but you're blocking the chair, and I can't see those cups over there" hahahahaha sounds like someone is trying to pick a fight eh? :)

DJ is obsessed with putting things "on". He brings me Lily's shoes on a daily, sometimes hourly basis and wants me to put them on him. He'll put gloves (or socks...whatever he can find) on his hands. He'll find hats or headbands, snow boots... You name it, he wants it "on". So it was a perfect photo opp when he brought me Lily's dress up clothes!!! Toby and Lily joined in for the fun too :) DJ really does make a cute girl (don't tell him I said that!)

My sweet little Derek now says "Hold you". I love it when kids say that!!!

The kids were being very cute the other day. They set up a stool and put a blanket over it and were standing on either side of it.....playing fishing. One would throw a string over and the other would tie on a surprise! It was cute because Toby said to Lily "what have you always wanted that you don't have", but then tells her it needs to be something we already own lol Lily then gave Toby scotch tape as a present hahaha

We went out to eat last night at a little ma and pa burger joint. Toby was on steroids still, and they often affect his taste buds and mood. Last night he was tired - too tired. He ordered his food and was very excited about it. A hot dog, corn dog, tater tots mmmmm. After taking a bite of each, he wasn't pleased with anything. He sat for a while and then said "Can I just order a bed?" :)

Kyle just particpated in the Science Fair at school. He got a participation ribbon and then also got another ribbon for understanding his project so well and being able to explain it to people. I love having a child who just "gets it", and is so smart (but I hate it when he corrects my spelling). lol


So now for Toby's last back poke.....goodbye Leukemia! Toby went to his last appointment in a great mood, knowing it would be his last (at least for chemo and back pokes.....we still have 5 years of blood tests, but that'll be a piece of cake!). I got some pictures of his ritual check in and port accessing. I also got some video of his lumbar puncture. Sadistic of me, but I was hoping the video would show the shaking of his eyes and the pain in his face when the needle went in, but it didn't, and it's probably a good thing it didn't. Toby has been amazing with all of this and I'm thankful for his strength. Some of the staff at PCMC made him a poster, gave him gifts, and sung 'Happy off therapy". Toby's prognosis is good. I have feared ending chemo, because the thought of relapse scares me to death. The Dr. told me that my fears are normal, but not to worry. The chances of it coming back are about 10%. At first that number gave me comfort, but then I realized the odds of Toby getting Leukemia in the first place, and my fears dug in again. But the Dr. assured me.....even if it does come back, we can deal with it. We've made it day by day thus far, so I know we can face whatever else comes our way.

Clinic Check in


Port Access (He wrapped his shirt on his head and pretended to meditate lol) His port access doesn't usually produce tears, but he opted for no numbing cream and then the nurse missed and had to access him twice :( poor guy.


Our Fab doc, Dr. Fluchel and the wonderful aid who always gives Toby Cheetos :)


Happy Moments....especially when we were ready to head home.

I am going to add some video to youtube, but it won't be all smiles so viewer beware :) The link to our youtubes is on the sidebar.

7 comments:

Alison said...

Tara thanks for sharing! Your kids are so funny! They must take after their mother! I remember you always made me laugh until I almost peeed my pants! I am so glad Toby is done! He is such a cute boy and so are all of your kids! I can't believe your baby is that big, he does make a cute little girl! What a smart big brother too!!! How's the foot?

swallentine said...

Congratulations! I just realized how big Toby looks in these pictures and remembered what a little guy he was when it all started. It has been a looong road, huh. You are all amazing and will continue to be in our prayers that he stays healthy.

Company EIGHT said...

Congrats!! This is such a huge milestone, and I'm so happy for Toby and your family.
I also love reading al the snippets of your life and kids--makes me feel like I'm a little closer!

vicky said...

horray for last LP!! I didn't recognize the dr. Then I realized that we have never seen him. I hope Toby is feeling okay. I worried about you and him Friday night.

Guymon Family said...

AAAAHHHH! I got your text and immediately freaked out, I thought something awful must have happened for Toby to go into surgery so I had to come check things out ASAP! Thank heavens he's getting his port out and it is a happy surgery (if that's possible). Good luck our prayers are with you always!

Bonny said...

Wow. Go Toby! Even though I didn't want to check the pics too closely I'm glad you took them. Even if its hard for either of you to look at later it is a good reminder of where you've been. Funny things. Aren't kids great? The fishing story reminds me of Pollyanna. Remember? The doll? Anyway, take care!

Sharlee said...

Yay!!! These pictures (of Toby) in at his last appointment brought me such emotion---I can't imagine what you must have felt as you walked out of there that day. What a HUGE blessing. He is so cute and so sweet. Those doctors and aids are pretty amazing, too, it looked like. Thank goodness for good help and support.